Monday, May 31, 2010

Tricky, Tricky...

So, my baby recently went on "bottle strike." My husband was getting really frustrated and his reasoning was that he would have to take the bottle eventually because that was all he was willing to offer him. I watched from afar as my son freaked out more and more. My heart was breaking as I pleaded with my husband to just let me give him my boob. My husband was persistent until he couldn't take it anymore. We gave in and I breast-fed him. Well, by day two of this, I had read all the blogs on how you are supposed to follow the same rules as bottle introduction: holding him differently, having mom leave the room, etc. Well none of that worked.

Finally, it was like a light bulb went off in my head. What if we "tricked" him? By this, I mean make him think he is getting the boob when he's really getting bottle. So I gave it a try, I strapped on the "My Brest Friend," laid him down, and watched him root as I scooted the bottle in there. Sure enough, he took it! Once we figured that out, the next time my husband gave him a bottle we had the baby lay on a pillow (that I use while nursing sometimes) on his side like he was breast-feeding, waited for him to root, and slid the bottle in his mouth. It worked again!

If you or someone you know is having trouble with a "bottle strike" baby, give this trickery a try...it may just work.

No comments:

Post a Comment